Java Software Engineer
Exempt (Regular, full-time)
None to minimum.
Develops specifications for moderately complex software programming applications and modifies/maintains the existing software. Develops, modifies and maintains applications that may be customized or standardized. Participates in design and coding activities with other staff members.This position envisions product development and manages projects through completion — analyzes, designs and develops software enhancements and new modules. Manages development project from initial design through testing while providing strategic management direction.
Provide quality and consistent code development for all company software and related applications by meeting the following responsibilities:
- Responsible for planning, processing and performing all jobs in an efficient manner with no assistance from the supervisor.
- Design and develop programming systems making specific determinations about system performance.
- Responding promptly and professionally to bug reports.
- Review and repair legacy code.
- Expected to conduct system analysis and development, with limited support from
professional staff, to keep our systems current with changing technologies.
- Analyze, design, coordinate and supervise the development of software systems to
form a basis for the solution of information processing problems.
- Analyze system specifications and translate system requirements to task
specifications for junior programmers.
- Responsible for analysis of current programs including performance, diagnosis and
troubleshooting of problem programs, and designing solutions to problematic
- Responsible for developing new programs and proofing the program to develop
needed changes to assure production of a quality product.
- Responsible for development of new programs, analyzes current programs and
processes, and making recommendations which yield a more cost effective product.
- Writes, edits, and debugs new computer programs for assigned projects, including
necessary records and desired output.
- Tests new programs to ensure that logic and syntax are correct, and that program
results are accurate; assists lower-level programmers with programming
- Document code consistently throughout the development process by listing a
description of the program, special instructions, and any changes made in database
tables on procedural, modular and database level.
- Responsible for utilizing tools and equipment involved in performance of essential
functions of programming including measuring instruments.
- Search, summarize and keep the team abreast of strategic information from all sources.
- Capable of writing proposals or papers.
- Making presentations to customer or client audiences or professional peers.
- Maintain positive client interactions.
- Strong and effective inter-personal and communication skills and the ability to
interact professionally with a diverse group of clients and staff.
- Responsible for communicating with engineers and manufacturer's technical
support staff regarding programming needs and performance.
- Provide general programming support to the organization.
- Provide feedback to analysis/training staff about performance considerations /
usability issues concerning software specifications and implementation.
- Research and recommend software tools to management.
- Provide assistance to testers and support personnel as needed to determine
- Review, to the extent possible, changes in code and the environment that will affect
- Provide recommendations to management concerning issues of programmer
productivity and software development management.
- Any previous knowledge of Digital Asset Management (DAM) products is highly desirable.
- Experience in working with graphic softwares such as Adobe CS series, multimedia softwares such as Final Cut Pro, and/or imaging/transcoding engines such as Media Rich or Telestream.
- Hands-on coding experience in Java and related technologies.
- Experience in a pressurized support environment, dealing with customers. Accustomed to conducting research to find solutions to problems from various sources.
- Able to multi-task across several issues, and manage and prioritize own time.
- Demonstrated strong customer service/support skills.
- Able to work independently and in a team.
- Able to meet intense deadlines.
- Ability to interact will all levels of personnel.
- Ability to learn quickly in a fast-paced environment.
- Knowledge of internet applications and databases are required.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret common scientific and technical journals, financial reports, and legal documents.
- Ability to respond to common inquiries or complaints from customers, regulatory agencies, or members of the business community.
- Ability to write articles for publication that conforms to prescribed style and format.
- Ability to effectively present information to top management, public groups, and/ or boards of directors.
- Ability to define problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions. Any Kind of Certification is highly desirable.